The Blog

Packanack Lake Community Association

Packanack Community Church

Packanack Community Church

January 21, 2014 / Comments Off on Packanack Community Church / Posted in: community

From the Packanack Community Church Website:

“The Packanack Community Church has been blessed with a ministry to Wayne Township and its surrounding communities for over 60 years. We are a multigenerational congregation that welcomes visitors, values children, mentors youth and reaches beyond ourselves to other people in need. Our congregation was founded on the understanding that people of varying backgrounds and beliefs can worship God together as one community of faith. As such, we respect people for who they are while encouraging them to become disciples of Jesus Christ.

Our weekly worship service is held at 10:00am on Sunday morning. It is based upon a worship liturgy that helps people experience God through music, sacraments, preaching and prayer. Our goal is to offer meaningful worship with a relevant message that calls people to faithfulness while respecting who they are.

It all started when Rev. Jacob H. Cunningham was visiting his in-laws in Packanack Lake. As a graduate student at Columbia University, he was searching for a doctoral project, so he mailed a questionnaire to 400 families in the community inquiring as to whether there was any interest in starting a Protestant church. From this questionnaire, a “Committee on Religious Education” was formed. The first congregational meeting was held on February 27, 1947 and, from this meeting, the Packanack Community Church was born. Dr. Cunningham agreed to serve as the interim minister until June, and the first service was held at the Packanack Clubhouse on March 2, 1947. In spite of a major snowstorm, 226 people showed up.

In October 1950, Rev. R. Cameron Fisher, a frequent guest preacher at the church, became the new minister. Seven days later, he laid the cornerstone of the sanctuary.

On Easter Sunday, March 25, 1951, the first worship service was held in the newly-constructed building in which Rev. R. Cameron Fisher and his congregation of 520 worshipped for the first time. From the steeple of Packanack Lake’s first house of worship, bells rang out Eastertide harmonies.”

Please click on the link for more information: www.packanack.com